The January stories ordered solely on my personal tastes.
- ‘The Promise’ by John Steinbeck
- ‘A Loaf Of Bread’ by James Alan McPherson
- ‘The Necklace’ by Guy de Maupassant
- ‘The Emerald Light In The Air’ by Donald Antrim
- ‘The Adventure Of The Empty House’ by Arthur Conan Doyle
- ‘Coach’ by Mary Robison
- ‘Smother’ by Joyce Carol Oates
- ‘Most Die Young’ by Camille Bordas
- ‘Permission To Enter’ by Zadie Smith
- ‘The Peasant Marey’ by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- ‘An Honest Thief’ by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- ‘Game Plan’ by Don DeLillo
- ‘Two Men Arrive In A Village’ by Zadie Smith
- ‘A Novel In Nine Letters’ by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- ‘The Crocodile’ by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- ‘One Officer, One Man’ by Ambrose Bierce
- ‘Escape From New York’ by Zadie Smith
- ‘Rest Stop’ by Stephen King
- ‘Moonlit Landscape With Bridge’ by Zadie Smith
- ‘Bobok’ by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- ‘Meet The President!’ by Zadie Smith
As always, join the conversation in the comments section below, on SSMT Facebook or on Twitter @ShortStoryMT.
Subscribe to the Short Story Magic Tricks Monthly Newsletter to get the latest short story news, contests and fun.