We’re excited to announce the launch of the new Short Story Magic Tricks Monthly Newsletter. Subscribe today with your favorite email address and you’ll get a world of short story news, contests, best-of lists, polls, and magic tricks in your inbox at the start of every month.
The idea is this: the internet is full of information about writers and fiction and novels and poetry. And that’s great. But what if you’re like me and only care about short stories? It’s not so easy then.
So we’re reinventing Short Story Magic Tricks as a catch-all for the short story lover. The Newsletter will be kind of the monthly Greatest Hits of that reinvention.
So, again, please subscribe today! Much, much appreciated. And keep an eye on the website over the coming weeks. There will still be 3-5 short stories a week with their accompanying magic tricks. That remains the essence of the site. But there will be news and contest deadlines and other goodies thrown in the mix as well.
The Top Five Non-Christmas Christmas Stories Read the rest of this entry »
Christmas; Or, The Good Fairy by Harriet Beecher Stowe, 1850 Read the rest of this entry »
The Poor Relation’s Story by Charles Dickens, 1852 Read the rest of this entry »
The November stories ordered solely on my personal tastes.
- ‘The Tree Line, Kansas, 1934’ by David Means
- ‘The Gift’ by John Steinbeck
- ‘Dance Of The Happy Shades’ by Alice Munro
- ‘Gloomy Tune’ by Grace Paley
- ‘Mastiff’ by Joyce Carol Oates
- ‘The Contest’ by Grace Paley
- ‘At The Bay’ by Katherine Mansfield
- ‘War Dances’ by Sherman Alexie
- ‘The Shining Houses’ by Alice Munro
- ‘An Honest Woman’ by Ottessa Moshfegh
- ‘Night Women’ by Edwidge Danticat
- ‘A Presidential Candidate’ by Mark Twain
- ‘Wants’ by Grace Paley
- ‘Love’ by Grace Paley
- ‘Debts’ by Grace Paley
Dance Of The Happy Shades by Alice Munro, 1968 Read the rest of this entry »