The May stories ordered solely on my personal tastes.
- ‘Children On Their Birthdays’ by Truman Capote
- ‘A View Of The Woods’ by Flannery O’Connor
- ‘Complicities’ by Alice Adams
- ‘This Is Paradise’ by Kristiana Kahakauwila
- ‘Birdland’ by Michael Knight
- ‘Consolation’ by Richard Bausch
- ‘Strange Moonlight’ by Conrad Aiken
- ‘The Quest For “Blank Claveringi”’ by Patricia Highsmith
- ‘Sucker’ by Carson McCullers
- ‘Buck Boy’ by James McBride
- ‘Friends From Philadelphia’ by John Updike
- ‘To Hell With Dying’ by Alice Walker
- ‘The Devil And Daniel Webster’ by Stephen Vincent Benét
- ‘The Local Production Of Cinderella’ by Allegra Goodman
- ‘Young Francis Whitehead’ by William Maxwell
- ‘Playing Before Royalty’ by Ian MacMillan
- ‘The Child Screams And Looks Back At You’ by Russell Banks
- ‘The Intermediate Class’ by Sam Allingham
As always, join the conversation in the comments section below, on SSMT Facebook or on Twitter @ShortStoryMT.
Subscribe to the Short Story Magic Tricks Monthly Newsletter to get the latest short story news, contests and fun.